“She won't be long.” His Lordship
bent and picked up the bench righting it. “Sit.” He walked to
the other side of the room, took the spindly legged chair that sat in
front of some table for a woman to primp at, and carried it back. He
pointed at the bench again, frowning. “I said, 'Sit.'”
Morag perched on the edge of the bench,
as from as the chair as she could manage. “Where're my clothes, you
took 'em.”
“Your clothes?” One eyebrow slid
up, accompanied by half a sneer. He paused, half seated, his arse in
the air and bending towards her.
“My coat, my stick, my shirt, my
breeches, you've left me nobbut my boots.“
“They will be returned to you when
you've held up your end of our bargain, and Charles looks to me as
his father.” Lord Pendleton waved one hand in dismissal. “Mrs.
Hatchett doubted she'd be able to find shoes or slippers that would
fit.” He glanced at her, shook his head. “It seems she misjudged
you.”
Morag bit down on the words she wanted
to fling at him. “You hold up your end, and I'm gone by spring.
Bethy's a place here's Charlie's sister.”
“Elizabeth will have a place here.
I doubt you'd agree to return her to the Talboys, for all they're
likely her closest kin.” He nodded.
“I'd not give the Talboys a mad dog,
never mind Jane Archer's daughter.” Morag scowled. Even using
their name left a bad taste in her mouth. “And her mother called
her Bethany.”
478 words
ReplyDelete