Gwynneth lay abed, but sat up when Fitz
came into the dim lit room. “Good evening.” He had a cup of
brandy, still mostly filled, and he swirled it as he walked over to
the bed. She watched him, he could feel it, though her eyes were
merely darker shadows in her pale face. “You disappoint me.”
“Duh-duh--” she closed her eyes and
grimaced. “Duh-disappoint you?”
“Yes.” he put down the drink and
took her hand, tugging lightly on it to help her stand. “I didn't
expect that when I sent for you.” He gestured to her swollen belly.
“Good God, we've not even been wed a year.”
She looked down, stroked it, then shot
a startled look up at him again. “Aay-aay--” again, closed eyes,
again, the grimace, as though she had to fight to get the words out.
“Aay-eight m-months.” She looked up at him, “we have been wed
eight months,” the words spilled out, almost atop each other.
“Yuh-you said a word.”
“I have said many words.” He picked
up his glass, led her to where the fire glowed sullen red, warming
the room, but not giving enough in the way of light to do much.
Someone, Gwynneth's maid perhaps, had set a chair and a stool before
it, doubtless so she could toast her toes if she wished. “Which one
in particular?”
He took the chair for himself, and
hooked the stool closer. There was no table near enough, so he put
the glass down on the carpet, and tugged on her hand, pointing at the
stool with his other hand. She sat, and he put a knee to either side
of her, watching her with hooded eyes. She glanced at him, then
looked away, at the fire. “Fuh-fuh--.”
“Fuck?” He leaned forward, grasping
her chin and forcing her to turn and look at him. “That is what I'd
been planning on doing with you, my dear, if you hadn't turned up so
roundly fecund.”
“N-n-n-no.” she shook her head,
tearing free of his hold. “That word, thu-thu-the last one.
Ay-ay-I don't know what it means. Pu-pu-plu-pluh-hease.”
He took pity on her, stroking her
swollen gut. “It means this, my dreadfully fertile bride, I'll be
terrified to couple with you in the normal fashion, if this is what
happens with only a month of making the beast with two backs with
you.”
404 words
ReplyDelete